Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A kiss, and a hug, and a lip

Whenever I leave for work in the morning, the boys go out on the porch to wave goodbye. Lately, Nate has been demanding that I give him "a kiss and a hug and a lip (kiss)." If I forget -- or if I fail to do all three -- he gets very upset. Not only that, but now I must give Theo and Dada a kiss and a hug and a lip. Sometimes I tell him that I don't want to kiss Dada, but he makes me do it anyway.

In the evenings, Chuck leaves to do work at a coffeeshop, and Theo, Nate and I squeeze together on the porch steps and wave goodbye to him. Nate insists that he give each of us a kiss, a hug, and a lip again. Theo will gleefully wave and say, "bye! seeyasoon! missyou!" And then we'll look at the moon and the stars, and I'll corral them inside so we can get ready for bed.

I know there will come a time when the boys won't even look up from their iPhone/laptop/whatever-gadget-exists-then to acknowledge that one of us is leaving, so I cherish the enthusiastic goodbyes and sloppy lips kisses while I have them. They'll be too cool for me soon enough.

No comments: